Crooked Spire

Bev


My formal musical training began as a little girl, walking down the alley once a week to the home of my piano teacher. In junior high school, when the piano no longer seemed cool, I got my first guitar. I learned basic folk guitar from lessons on the local PBS television station and dabbled in classical and flamenco guitar during high school. Throughout college, veterinary school, marriage and babies the guitar gathered dust in the closet until my pastor, also a guitarist, got wind that I played and invited me to play during worship. This return to playing marked the beginning of my appreciation of music as the language of the human spirit. When another church friend let me play her new Taylor guitar, I fell in love with it (my pitch for Taylors). After listening to me lust after her guitar, my dear husband bought me one for Christmas and with it came the desire to improve and broaden my playing. I began lessons with John Blasquez, a multi-instrumentalist who plays old time, bluegrass, and Celtic music. It was the latter that attracted me as I was interested in the traditions of my mostly Irish / British Isles ancestors. As I listened and played I found music evoking the spectrum of human emotions, from wild foot-stomping dance tunes to achingly beautiful crying-in-your-beer airs, and I have been hooked ever since. Stricken two years ago by an inexplicable desire to play a new instrument (a.k.a. musician mid-life crisis), I now play the button box accordion in addition to the guitar, inspired by the playing of friend Ann McChesney-Young.


Making music with friends at church and retreats had always been great fun, so when I met Vic and Gerry at an Irish music session about eight years ago and we started talking about playing together on a regular basis, it was “Yeah, we can use my kitchen!” Other musicians have played with us over the years with Jim becoming our newest addition when we found ourselves in need of a new fiddler several years ago. In addition to the craic (an Irish Gaelic word loosely translated as a good time with good friends, often associated with music and Guinness), being able to share this music with others has been like icing on the cake. Whether in a concert setting or as background music at an event, I really look forward to performing together. So come check us out!